Monday 30 September 2019

No Scrubs



After the somewhat ironic title (I've finished quite a few bits of scrub) I hereby present part one of my painting progress.

Marauders marauding amongst 20mm scale scrub.








The scrub pieces are sprigs of lichen (the dark pieces drybrushed to make them look more arid and brown) stuck on 25 mm bases covered with a mix of sand and GLOOP(tm). My iteration of gloop consists of PVA glue, brown paint and flour to give it more filling power without looking too gritty. Using multiple small bases instead of one larger panel for terrain has a couple of big advantages: you can change the size and shape between games and if you want to move a model where a piece of lichen is you can just move the terrain piece rather than attempting some sort of balancing act.


Top view of the new shrubbery (scrubbery?).

I've also finished the marauders in my possession. 14 original GW chaps plus two extras, which means I will have to pick up 4 more stand-ins from somewhere, at the moment I'm leaning towards the berserk ladies at Bad Squiddo.

Last two members of the Marauder command group. The champion model is actually from Ral Partha. The banner is from a long-defunct GW chaos warrior banners sheet, and the only one I've ever managed to affix that doesn't look terrible.

My great triumph on the standard bearer has been to successfully apply a sticker banner (from an ancient GW sticker sheet no less) to the pole, despite the width of the banner and pole being somewhat mismatched. There was a little misalignment of the sticker at the edges which had to be concealed with agrax earthshade ("liquid talent") but the finished effect is rather good.



Don't forget the back!

Next time I'll be showing off the full Afrika Korps platoon plus some more works-in-progress from the painting desk.
And the full unit! The Ral Partha chap fits in quite well I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment