Saturday 28 March 2020

How not to be seen



Private N. E. Seagoon of the 4th Armoured Thunderboxes has presented us with a poser: we do not know which tree he is behind, but we can soon find out.


Yes, it was the middle one.





As always when I've had a long posting gap, there has been a sizeable painting gap built up so this will be something of an eclectic update featuring models, terrain and casualties. Readers are also fortunate that model wargaming is largely a solo hobby and that my response to stress is to withdraw from the world and paint models, which means I will be 'creating' 'content' without interruption by the ongoing pandemic.

Enforcer (now in my Davion paint scheme) on the left, Crab centre and Sentinel right.

Continuing with the vast numbers of 'mechs I have still to paint (and have bought yet more of), I am at last making progress. You will have seen some of these paint schemes before (on the enforcer, sentinel and catapult) but there are some new ones too. The crab and raven are self-explanatory, while the Griffin is another "heraldry" type scheme.

Liao Catapult (left), Griffin with reflective cockpit (centre), and suitably black Raven (Nevermore!) on the right.

As you've seen from the header, I have finished some trees, craters and explosions. The craters and explosions will mostly be used for marking mortar barrages in Chain of Command, but if you carefully study the pictures in my last battle report, you will notice the marker being used to indicate both smoke and vehicle destruction. The trees are an ongoing background effort to get some northwestern European terrain for all the Lardy pint-size campaigns set in Normandy.

Slightly better look at the explosions and craters ready for the North African desert.

More prosaically, I've been making more scrub markers for North Africa as I found there weren't quite enough for the games I had against Billy. Another problem was that the lichen came off in transit, so I'm trying to solve this problem with more superglue. I even picked out a few 40 mm rounds to add some variety. Just need to add the stuff and paint, they should be easy to make. Unfortunately I don't have the terrain/basing stuff in my apocalypse bunker so that will have to wait until this all blows over I guess.

Slightly more down-to-earth. I've finished yet more scrub bases.

The shieldmaiden berserkers I got for Christmas are finished now. A bit on the dull side, with nothing but fur and plain cloth, but they should liven up the chaos marauder regiment, which will be my favourite in the army, but will continually dissappoint in battle. Ho hum.

Rather blurry looking shieldmaiden berserkers: now my 20-strong chaos marauder regiment is complete!
I've got a load of chaos warriors still to do, and plenty of them are part-painted, still blu-tacked to their caps and standing in silent judgement at my lack of progress. I have finished two of them though, both pleasingly different to the old 90's multi-part plastics. The first is an officer-type, with a rather impressive cloak. The second is "sword and bone armour" from a 90's metal range of chaos warriors. A really gorgeous figure, and great fun to paint, with the combination of red, bronze and bone.

While the photo quality is lacking, I think at least I've captured the tones on my old-skool chaos warirors

and to show off my cloak-painting skills, here is the other side "#dontforgettheback" as Bad Squiddo tell us.

I also picked up some Greek hoplite casualties (alongside some crescent-shaped Pelte shields for the latest ill-advised impulse project-more on that later) from 1st Corps. Very nice, simple models and they just about fit the Warlord shield transfers I have left over from the plastic hoplites (recorded on this very blog!). 

An unexpected addition of hoplite casualties from 1st Corps featuring leftover transfers from my Warlord hoplites
Anyway, I think that's it for this update. Remain indoors, wash your hands and look out for your friends and neighbours who may need virtual social contact during the quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment