Saturday 26 December 2020

The Tharkhad Campaign Hots Up

 

(The joke is that Tharkhad is actually a cold, icy planet)

Well, after a poor first showing, our Mercenary outfit (the Acein' Blazes for those curious) commences guerilla activities with a recon-in-force against the Word-of-Blake (not that one) occupation around a river delta. According to the rolls made on the  random scenario table, the WoB would be materially inferior but much better skilled, with the local commander something of a dead-eye shot in their long-range sniping mech (Jaegermech for those with Technical Readout 3025 handy).

A lovely day for a walk in the woods


As well as being more skilled, the enemy forces would also be deployed in ambush positions. This would be tricky to handle from both from a tactical and gaming point of view as I couldn't exactly note down their location secretly without giving the game away! The method I decided upon was rolling a dice whenever one of my 'Mechs came within close range of a terrain feature and on a high enough roll, some enemy unit would jump out and join the fun.
 
In the scenario, points were scored for both scanning and destroying enemy units, so I decided that I would take the risk and spend the first few turns holding fire to make sure the full range of scans would be completed before closing for the kill. My force split into two, with one pair of 'Mechs heading straight for the sole visible enemy target (a lightly armoured "sniper" unit) and the other sweeping round the flank to flush out other enemy forces.

The Mercenary light and medium scout 'Mechs close in on the Hunchback, wary of its deadly autocannon


Obviously eager for a scrap, WoB forces quickly broke cover and engaged. A missile hovercraft (Harasser) zoomed towards the left flank (featuring the Mercenary unit's CO 'Mech) while a Hunchback (deadly close-quarters fighter) came out of cover to the right. Despite having to move into close range to begin the scan, I was fortunate to avoid the wrath of the dreaded AC-20. In spite of the harassing fire from the Blakists, the mercs held off shooting to make sure they could scan their (decidedly slippery!) opponents.


With all forces now in play, the Mercenaries attempt to get into scanning range while the WoB hovercraft hounds their every move

The Word of Blake forces took full advantage of the unwillingness of the mercenaries to damage valuable scanning data and made careful manoeuvrers to break contact with the scanning units to reset the scan timer. They managed to whittle rather a lot of armour off without reprisal, even if the heavy autocannon of the Hunchback as still failing to hit anything.

Both force commanders square off in a climactic fashion.


I considered the amount of damage my chaps were taking and decided that I would have to start shooting now or end up being chipped to death. My 'mechs were all faster than my opponents (with the exception of the hovercraft) so I was confident I could keep some of the heat off me with evasive manoeuvres. I also decided that I didn't need to worry about the hovercraft which was more or less impossible to hit due to its speed. It's only got a couple of SRM launchers!

The Locust (left) and Phoenix Hawk (right) circle the WoB Hunchback, wary of it's heavy autocannon

My approach seemed to be working when a lucky back-shot silenced the Hunchback's autocannon and meant I felt it was time to close in for the kill.  The Jaegermech was starting to lose armour and things looked like they were turning around. I just needed to bring my Locust out of the line before it took too much damage...
 
Despite finally knocking out the Jagermech, the Shadow Hawk suffers another hit to the head and kills the Mercenary leader.

Unfortunately it was not to be. The hovercraft whizzed across the map and knocked out the retreating Locust and the duel between the Shadow Hawk and the Jaegermech ended with both mechs out of action, the Shadowhawk having its head blown off, killing the mercenary group's leader. I decided it was time to throw in the towel.

Well, another game and another defeat. I tried to be greedy and score all the points, whereas if I started shooting from the start, I stood a much better chance of fighting off the WoB and making back some of my missed points from salvage. We live and learn. Tune in next time for the mercenaries' do-or-die attempt to make back some ground before they are rendered combat ineffective.




No comments:

Post a Comment