Friday 2 March 2018

Base-ic Instinct


With the new models, I decided I needed some new bases to mount them on. Unfortunately, I underestimated the size of a peeg, so now I have 32 15 mm MDF circles and nothing to do with them, as well as an absence of 25 mm rounds and the suspicion that 30 mm might fit the fast attack options perfectly.

This picture doesn't really do it justice, but the bases are too small


Of course, despite basing the gunny pets, I haven't had the nerve to start painting them, so I've been procrastinating with hoplites and elves (see above photo for progress on the latter).

Assembling and basing parts of the kickstarter. The turrets will be painted separately and glued in at the end

I've also been severely affected by metal fatigue in that I can't bring myself to face the new 'Mechs yet. I coudn't even summon up the will to get all that paint off properly! Part of this is because the forward gun barrels on the crab and goliath snapped off and require replacement with wire spear sections. Drilling through metal is much more a hassle than drilling plastic, ugh!

Progress on the semi-stripped 'Mechs and freshly assembled bunnycopter bomber.

Not pictured here (wait for next update) are those old Games Workshop Brettonian archers, who have been waiting for finishing touches for well over a year. Looking back over them, it's clear how my painting has improved: I've got a better grasp of the contours of the models, the folds of cloth and the right sort of tonal variation to apply when highlighting.

In tremendous progress, I've managed to UNDERCOAT the Ghosts of Gaia...

I am having fun with the Warlord plastic hoplites. Rather than the usual rulesets, I thought I might give them a go with 'Dark Age Infantry Slog' as the shieldwall and phalanx are very similar formations, so rules which simulate only two big blocks of troops bashing each other until one side runs away sounds like they might just fit the bill.

The shields on the back row look great as well, in case you were wondering.

Special hobby inspiration thanks must go to MGH1736 who painted his hoplites in 3 batches, each using variations on a single colour doing different patterns on the pteruges and things. This is an excellent idea which will really liven up the painting and keep things from getting too uniform.

Back view, showing off the various corselet decorations.

I know I have mentioned on this very blog that multi-basing was a vector for communist infiltration, subversion and the impurification of our precious bodily fluids, but I am making an exception with the hoplites. Firstly, I do not expect them to fight in loose order and second, I am not going to work out a scheme of 40 single bases where they all fit together like jigsaw pieces because having to arrange them all for games will take for ever and drive me mad(der).


No comments:

Post a Comment