Thursday 30 October 2014

We Wuz Robbed.

Sorry for the spoiler-laden title, but I'm very bitter about the paddling I received at the weekend. Credit to JoeySpike for playing intelligently and using resources effectively

The home side, looking so dashing in their period strip.

As JoeySpike has a whole hundered uruks at his command and the scenario calls for 50, I rubbed my hands together, arrayed the walls of Delm's Heap with my bowmen and prepared to shoot his assault to pieces.

The away team arrayed for battle. Those catapults were murder. 
Imagine my surprise when all that came for me were the missile troops, novelty bombs and enough catapult rocks to capsize an ocean liner. This onslaught forced my gallant defenders to cower in the shadow of the walls, giving the engineers a clear run to the wall.
A much needed pick-me-up as the defenders hide under the table.
With hindsight, giving the besiegers missile superiority and no time limit means their best option is to avoid running up to the walls to be slaughtered one by one by one by the good heroes, leading to a battle that reflected medieval siege warfare brilliantly but was very boring for the defender. 
Finally we can have a punch up!
So, at length I lined up the lads outside the wall and waited for the demo charges to topple it (with hindsight, charging dramatically out of the gates would have avoided the area of difficult terrain the walls became)
Aragorn gets into combat with one wound left but it doesn't matter.
So my lads and lasses got bogged down, shot at, and lost combats from using two-handed weapons (stupid uruk-hai fight values...) The heroes gave a good account of themselves, but there you go.
Joey finally remembers what his victory conditions were.
In future, I will take away the catapults and possibly force a time limit on things too to ensure lots of movement and general heroism. 


Coming this weekend: I have a go at horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment