Monday 16 December 2019

Achtung Bagpiper!

20 mm Bagpiper (Britannia miniatures, sadly lacking kilt) with some fine brushwork on the tartan.

I wanted to get a figure, rather than a counter, to indicate force morale on the Chain-of-Command tracker (The Afrika Korps already have some surrendering chaps for this purpose) so I have a bagpiper. It only really works for Scottish units, but as the 51st Highland were at El-Alamein and the 15th Scots were in Normandy, that's the two theatres I have campaign packs for covered.




Oh, and the last few members of the Italian platoon are finished as well.

Zoomed-out photo to try to show the unusual Italian platoon structure: 2 large squads, with a 10-strong rifle team and two machine gun teams of 4, plus 2 NCOs each.

The Italians are a mix of Airfix plastic (excellent figures, great scale, well cast) and the Waterloo 1815 "Italian Infantry WWII" which contains two different sorts of frame in different scales, but with a much greater variety of extra weapons for support options. Bizzarely, neither of these include LMG troops, so I've had to buy them in from Grubby Tanks' metal ranges.

Close-up of one of the platoon's "squadra" with the two MG teams at the front and the rifle team in column at the back.



I was greatly aided in my collecting efforts by the Italian army's tropical uniform being the same cut as their European uniform, but in a different colour. If only other major powers had been so considerate.


Most recently painted machine gun team.


I've now got most of the essential supports for the Italians done, with the notable exception of the 12-strong scout squad. The machine gun, mortar, anti-tank weapons all present and correct, although I've only got enough crew figures to field one at a time so again, more painting needed.

The Italians don't give NCOs submachine guns so to differentiate them from the rank-and-file I've used metal riflemen, with rank being indicated by impracticality of hat (steel = corporal, pith = sergeant).

Three out of the five Frontline vehicles are now painted and varnished. The Panzer II is now suitably highlighted, but I'm now umming and erring about whether or not to paint on the suspension springy bits (which are not sculpted on the tracks) attached to the wheels. I think I will in the end, although it will need an effort to overcome the mental block. And don't even get me started about doing caunter on another vehicle...

Sdkfz 221 armoured car with Airfix German for scale.

Extra bonus photo of the turret and gunner. I've omitted doing markings to save time and preserve the clean look.

In hobby-adjacent news I've now finished the first draft of my El-Alamein Chain of Command campaign. Feelers have been sent to Suzanne about playtesting over Christmas and hopefully the results will feature on this very blog. I'll also be posting the rules to the Too Fat Lardies forum for feedback and to get more hits. Watch this space!

Italian M13/40 tank (left) and Autoblinda 41 armoured car with Airfix infantry for scale.

The Girls und Panzer "Italian" themed school is Anzio, which is criminally under-represented in the anime, but I gather it gets more time in the expanded media. Their logo is a stylized pizza, which I have attempted, but it's quite a crude attempt, so you won't be getting any close-ups.
Final shot of the M13/40 ready for North Africa.

No politics today I'm afraid, still upset about the election. Still, the fight must go on I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment