Saturday 2 May 2015

Shaping Up Nicely


After a massive paint orgy on Friday, I'm at the stage where quite a few models are in need of basing. Exciting times! I've based up my best examples into impetvs-sized units to give an impression of what the finished army might look like, The units will be single-based, and affixed to a sabot-base. I briefly considered using magnets (like every other blogger seems to be...) but realised that a cheaper solution already exists! Blu-tac! 

This was using my Vallejo greens, which don't seem to work. I am currently mixing blue and yellow to get the colour right.

I've found that it's possible to do the wood on spears with minimal effort by basecoating with Leather Brown and drybrushing with Bonewhite. So much better than starting from scorched brown! 

The shield patterns are very hit and miss.

As you can see, I'm having a little trouble with the shields, especially the ones involving straight lines. My next gaming purchase is going to be masking tape to do this properly.

5 25mm bases is 125mm wide, just a bit too wide for Impetvs, so one horse has to be unbased.

My large order of correctly-sized bases arrived today, so I spent a good hour gluing horses down. Hoping to have a completed shot of my 13th century folks at the end of the bank holiday weekend. Fat chance eh folks?

Crusader horses aren't amazing, but they have four legs, at least.

I've finally bitten the bullet and attempted to wrestle thread and paper into line to make more slingers. I was worried that it would be impossible to pose them in a 'throwing' action, as the thread would droop, but I'm pleased that this is not the case! 

Another brilliant slinger conversion.


Yes, I am that excited about not having to buy metal models for one army. I'm writing a wargaming blog, did you expect me to be 'cool' and 'with it'?

No comments:

Post a Comment